Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sugar Cookies

I have a serious sweet tooth, guys. Especially around Easter... I swear, Cadbury Mini Eggs are going to be the death of me.

Yesterday, I was craving a sugar cookie, but I had no eggs, and only two tablespoons of butter. Therefore, I took to Pinterest for an eggless cookie recipe! My cookie was so delicious yesterday that I went grocery shopping this morning, invited my friend N over, and made a batch.

One major bonus to an eggless recipe? Taking some, uh, quality control samples of the dough! For science's sake, of course.


They're buttery, delicious, and only use six ingredients! (Recipe adapted from Planet Weidknecht)

To make twelve large cookies, you'll need:
 -1/2 lb unsalted softened butter (two sticks)
 -1 cup granulated sugar
 -1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
 -1/2 tsp. baking soda
 -1/2 tsp. salt
 -1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Forgot to get my salt out for a picture--oops!
Start by preheating your oven to 325˚F.

Get out a mixing bowl and pop your softened butter in, then pour your cup of sugar over it. Grab a fork and cream your butter and sugar together... or, if you have a hand mixer, cream it the easy way! Basically, you want to combine the butter and sugar until they make a light, fluffy mixture. There should be no pockets of sugar or butter.


Next, pour your vanilla into the creamed butter and mix it thoroughly, so it is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.

After that, pour your flour, baking soda, and salt on top of the creamed butter.


Here's the time-consuming part--using your fork, mix the dry ingredients with the butter. It will take a while. Your arm will probably hurt (well, maybe I'm just weak). You want the mixture to come together into a nice dough.


Pro tip: If it's a little too dry, add a tiny amount of water and thoroughly mix the dough. When dealing with dough, you want to add very small amounts at a time so you don't make it too wet.

Once your dough has reached the proper consistency where it sticks together uniformly, you can roll it into balls and then flatten them out. I like larger cookies, so I only put six on a sheet. Flattened out, the uncooked cookie should be about 2/3 of the size of your palm. Pop them on your cookie sheet, bung the sheet into the oven, and cook for 7-9 minutes.


The edges will look well-done and the middles will still look puffy and slightly undercooked. Leave them on the cookie sheet for about five minutes to let them firm up before transferring to a cooling rack (or a cutting board, in my case). The middles will fall and become much more solid.

These cookies firm up beautifully and have a slightly crunchy edge while the middle is chewy. They are crazy delicious.


N and I had a few each... but they're so good! Totally worth every sugary, delicious bite.


Once all the cookies were cooled, I packed all but one up and sent them off with N to give to our friends. Dangerous to keep around my apartment!

All in all, these cookies take about 45 minutes to make from beginning to end. If I had a mixer, they could be done in probably about 25. While the creaming and mixing take a while, these cookies are worth it!

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. They look delicious! I'm going to try them soon!

    ReplyDelete