Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

San Francisco, Days One and Two

This past weekend, I got the opportunity to travel up to the Bay Area with my friend N. Her family lives in the suburbs, so it was nice to get away from LA, sightsee, and relax. I've never been to San Francisco before so it was exciting!

We rented a car on Friday afternoon and started up the I-5 with lunch in our hands...


My first In-N-Out! I had the grilled cheese with onions. So delicious.

We drove all through the afternoon and got to N's town a little after nightfall. We met up with her parents at one of her favorite restaurants (sadly, no pictures) where we had the most delicious yogurt/pumpkin dish. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it was really well spiced and had a great texture. After dinner, we headed back to N's house to crash.

The next morning, we were up bright and early to head into San Francisco. First stop? The Golden Gate Bridge, of course!


It is really incredible. The scale of San Francisco is just completely different than I thought--the city just sprawls! It's a bit of a mix of Chicago, Boston, and a little New York. We drove through the whole city and stopped for an amazing brunch at a place called Boogaloo's with N's brother. It's sort of Mexican-influenced breakfast! I wanted it all, so I got pancakes, eggs, fruit, and toast. N ordered a potato bowl dish that had cheese, onion, tomato, and sour cream. N's brother got huevos rancheros. Everything looked good! I could have gone for more.

After Boogaloo's, we stopped in to say hi to N's grandparents, and then we drove to Mitchell's for some classic ice cream. Needless to say, it was delicious.


I had a peanut butter and chocolate cone. Swirls of creamy peanut butter and little peanut butter cups in a chocolate base--yum! This is the face of a happy girl.


Once we had demolished our ice cream, we took a quick zoom down Lombard Street (the narrowest, turniest street in the world... I think) and were off to the races (literally)!


N's family is really into horse racing, so we were off to Golden Gate Fields to see their horse compete in the El Camino Derby. I've never been to a horse race before, so I had no idea what to expect! We met up with lots of N's family and friends to watch some races before their horse competed, I won some money (!!!) and got to visit the paddock to see Wildcat Moon before his race.


Unfortunately, Wildcat Moon didn't show (place in the top three) but it was still a fun afternoon. We got back in our car after one more race and drove back to the suburbs, pleasantly tired after a long and fun day.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment